Nordiska Bird 6529.
Designed in Gothenburg in the 1960's by an unnamed artist, this wonderful folky winter bird mustard and soft blue was originally printed on half bleached linen and embroidered in the same colours as our contemporary kit. The winter twigs, berries and candles are typical of a Swedish winter home.
Included in this set is:
- A pure linen panel, a light and perfectly dense cloth that is easy to embroider and beautiful to hang. The panel measures 40 cm tall, and 37.5 cm wide.
The design itself is 20 cm x 20 cm.
- Seven colours of contemporary linen threads
- A chenille needle on a vintage paper cut
- A stitch card showing the 24 most common 60's linen embroidery stitches. This card is an exact copy of Nordiska's 60's stitch card, once written on a 60's typewriter in Nordiska's headquarters in Gothenburg.
- A card showing the original archive drawing from the 60's, with a translation of the stitches used and a brief history of the design origins
- An A4 poster copy of the original archive drawing, clearly showing the stitch instructions and where to add the colours. Feel free to improvise though!
Linen always look best if it isn't washed, and we recommend keeping it as it is, just as Nordiska did in the 1960's. The print itself is wash proof, so you will need to embroider over the fine lines. Don't worry if the white lines peek through: it is part of the style and charm of linen embroidery of this era.
We hope you will love this Nordiska treasure just as much as we do!